A valuable tool I use to reduce my fibromyalgia pain is visualization. Visualization works to expand your ability to rest, relax and lessen pain. This can be done in several different ways. The following is a method I learned in a childbirth class. I revised and renamed this method, “ Eye Opening Visualization”.
- Find a calming photo. For me this would be a landscape photo of nature such as the ocean, mountains or a meadow covered in wildflowers. If you have a special photo you took this is the perfect time to take it out. Need a photo? Look through magazines or search the internet. Maybe you have a friend on social media who has a beautiful photo you can use.
- Turn off all devices and if possible create a quiet space.
- Sit or lay in a comfortable position.
- With your eyes open observe your calming picture.
- Disappear into the image and allow your body to relax.
- Stay in the moment as long as you can to reduce your pain.
When exploring this new technique know if your mind wanders away thinking of something else, that’s okay. When you notice this, gently bring yourself back.